Saturday, December 20, 2008

Today I had a parcel that needed picking up at the Post Office so I took the risk and ventured out.  I didn't get a hundred yards down the street before I got stuck in the snow.  Luckily a very kind gentlemen in my apartment building noticed me struggling to get unstuck so came out to help me.  I made it to the post office without further incident even though it meant using the road instead of the sidewalks every now and then.  

I didn't let this little incident upset me, instead I was thankful for the help of a stranger and spent some time later pondering the fact that people, usually complete strangers, will go out of their way to assist me, opening doors, getting items off of unreachable shelves in grocery stores and in countless other circumstances.  It speaks well of humanity don't you think?

I teach classes for the Arthritis Society, the Arthritis Self Management Program, and I often tell the participants that, in one sense, I am luckier than most of them because my disability is visible and subsequently people go out of their way to be kind and helpful.  Most of them, however, despite having a debilitating illness, look perfectly fine with the result that, not only strangers, but even family often don't know, or forget that they would benefit from assistance from time to time.  

I see that I've had three visitors to the site so far.  If you do stop by, I'd really appreciate your comments, even just a short 'Hello' would be nice. 
  

1 comment:

  1. Howdy. Just found your new blog. I have one too at http://sclerodermablog.blogspot.com/

    I'm not confined to a wheelchair and still probably have 90% movement of my hands, though dropping things is way more common now then when my hands were completely unaffected. People don't know I'm sick and I have to point out things to those I care to tell for them to see any physical signs.

    I look forward to your continued posts.

    ReplyDelete