Friday, December 26, 2008

Back to Normal

Well, Christmas has come and gone along with all the business that goes along with it and life is now back to normal, whatever that means.  
Christmas eve and a good part of Christmas day were spent at my daughter's and it was a very enjoyable time.  On Christmas 
Eve, however I almost had to back out because I was having some minor bowel problems and found myself visiting the bathroom more frequently than normal.  This in itself was not the real problem.  Rather, my hesitance was a result of the fact that using an unmodified toilet is a major challenge.  And secondly, the lack of mobility in my hands, arms and shoulders makes it impossible for me to wipe my butt.  This brings me to today's topic about ways to make our lives easier through the use of a variety of devices.

The first and most extreme step I took was moving out of my row house to an apartment building.  Although my apartment itself is not modified, living here means I have automatic doors, an elevator, covered entrance where I can get onto the paratransit bus without being exposed to the elements, and living accommodations confined to one floor, not to mention the fact that I live in the heart of the city with ready access to most amenities.

In order to make my days easier I have purchased a number of items beginning with those pictured here in my bathroom. They include a clamp-on bar to assist, not only getting into the shower, but also getting on and off the toilet, a raised toilet seat and finally a handheld spray attachment which I use as a sort of bidet in place of wiping.

I also purchased a hospital bed which I can raise so it is easier to get in and out of bed.  In addition, I can elevate my head which helps avoid reflux problems.  I also have a 3" thick memory foam mattress pad which has made sleeping much easier.

Other conveniences include a mechanical reacher for picking things up off the floor, a frequent occurrence since I am constantly dropping things.  The reacher also comes in handy when getting dressed ( putting on my pants and socks primarily).  The list also includes non-elastic socks which are easier to put on with the reacher, plastic dishes which are lighter and don't break when I drop them, pulls on zippers because it's too difficult to grasp those little zipper things they come with, built up utensils for eating and food preparation, spring loaded scissors, a crock pot and toaster oven to simplify cooking, an electrically operated recliner and I'm sure there's more which escape me at the moment but you get the idea.  

I also found a local online grocery store which is a real life saver in the winter when I can't get out so easily.

In summary, there is an endless list of things we can do or purchase to make our lives  easier so why not take advantage of them?

3 comments:

  1. Bill,

    I've not seen any blogs that give hope but yours does! Thank you for telling your story.

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul, thanks for stopping by and for commenting. Be well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete