Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Benefits of Physiotherapy

Today, Thursday, is physio day.  For the past three years I have been going to St. Joseph's hospital here in London for a half hour physio session.  This is supplemented by having my support worker repeat the stretches in my home, also once a week.  

There is evidence that regular physio sessions may be able to maintain the range of motion scleroderma patients have in their joints and, in my case at least, it seems to be working.  Twice a year, usually in the spring and fall, my physiotherapist measures the range of motion in my major joints and overall results indicate no significant change.  Keep in mind that these measurements are not terribly accurate so there is some allowance for measurement error which is why I use the phrase 'no significant change' as there are minor variances from time to time.

Of course, regular exercise is important as well in helping maintain mobility.  But don't forget to check with your doctor and physiotherapist if you have one before beginning a program. 

Time to go catch my ride so will close for now.  Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment