Monday, January 14, 2013

Gallbladder Infection

On December 23, I went to emergency with severe abdominal pain and was diagnosed with cholesystitis or an infection of the gallbladder. I was transferred to another hospital and admitted immediately. So, I spent Christmas week in hospital fighting off the infection with heavy duty antibiotics.  And then another ten days at home on still more antibiotics.  There goes my carefully cultured gut from my new diet.  Diarrhea was back and unable to eat.

It is now 1 1/2 weeks since I finished up my antibiotics and my gut is getting back to the pre gallbladder state.  Been eating yogurt every day as well as food from my diet.

Have an appointment on February 6 with the surgeon, prep for removal of my gallbladder. Talked this over with my GI doc last week, wanted his opinion about necessity of having gallbladder removed.  He convinced me that I should go ahead with it.

Also had my picc line replaced as the old one was getting a bit sluggish - required more pressure to flush.

That's about it for now.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Bill,
    My husband has scleroderma - diagnosed about a year ago. His doctor is recommending trying IVIG or Immunoglobulin therapy. Has your dr. ever recommended this for you? We live in the states, so getting our insurance to cover it will be the biggest hurdle. It is extremely expensive. Was jus wondering if you had any experience with it or if your dr. ever suggested it. Thank you for your blog it is very encouraging and your attitude is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog. No I haven't had any experience with IVIG, nor has it been suggested by my doctor. From the little I know, it has been successful in reducing collagen production in some instances and is relatively safe with few or no side effects.
    If your husband does get it, I'd love to know how it worked for him if you would't mind.
    Best wishes,
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bill,
    Well he just got an insurance case worker on the phone today, but we've been told by others that they initially decline you as a matter of course and then there is an appeal process, etc. so it may be a while before and if anything actually gets done, but will be sure and let you know his experience if he is able to receive it. His conditin is worsening pretty aggressively and so I am very anxious about this happening sooner rather than later. He met a woman at his doctors office who had the treatment and went from being barely able to walk to moving around quite easily again, so we are hopeful. You might want to check with your doctor. My husband sees a Dr. Silver at the University of South Carolina Medical Center (we live in Florida). I also understand that there is a Dr. Wigley at John Hopkins in Baltimore who is one of the leading drs. in the field (in the US anyway). Thanks so much for getting back to me and I wish you the best of luck!
    LIsa

    ReplyDelete