Wednesday, January 23, 2013

On the Diet Front

Been trying out some new recipes this week.  So far I have made scalloped potatoes, rice pudding and today, baked potato pizza. (Click on item for recipe)

The scalloped potatoes were excellent.  Made enough for two meals (remember I don't eat a lot at a time).  I altered the recipe to avoid the milk by substituting a yogurt and rice milk mixture.  I would have preferred regular yogurt but all I had was vanilla yogurt on hand which didn't really seem to affect the flavour at all. I also cut back on the cheese a bit.  The second time I had this for a meal I had diarrhea the next day.  Not sure if it was the potatoes at fault or not.  Not sure if it was due to the potatoes or not. Will definitely make again.

I cut the recipe in half. The rice pudding was again using a mixture of rice milk and yogurt. As the recipe called for vanilla, the use of vanilla yogurt was not a problem.  I also substituted dried blueberry for raisins as raisins are not recommended for my anti-diarrhea diet. The taste was fine but the rice was overcooked, very mushy, and I probably won't try this recipe again.

The potato pizza was excellent.  I used pita bread instead of pizza crust which made for a crunchy base which I usually prefer anyway.  Also cut back on the cheese, probably about half, because I know it's not ideal for my diet.  Chose to go meatless and didn't have any chives so added a little extra of the green onions.  Was a little overdone at 400 degrees for 25 minutes so will cut back on the time next time.  Otherwise it was very tasty and, yes, I will definitely have this again.
Happy eating.


No comments:

Post a Comment