Sunday, February 2, 2014

In three days it will have been one month since I have taken in anything by mouth.  The last thing I ate was a couple of teaspoons of yogurt and before that a banana cut up, mixed in with plain yogurt and eaten over three days.  I brought it all up and also had diarrhea.

I phoned my dietitian who works for my GI doc and the long and the short of it is, he wouldn't see me until my regularly scheduled appointment in April and suggested I see my GP. This was not what I wanted to hear, but I scheduled an appointment with him to please everyone. His first question, not surprisingly, was "Why are you here, shouldn't you be seeing our GI doctor?" Uh huh.

The result of my visit was that he put me on flagyl for 10 days to see if my problem was a result of unwanted flora buildup in my GI  tract. I have now finished the antibiotic and it did help some but not to my total satisfaction. The most obvious sign is that I actually had a couple of bm's with solid stool this past week. The real treat will come when I try eating again which, I think, may be today. Think I'll try a small serving of bulgar cooked in rice milk and sweetened with a tiny bit of maple syrup. I've chosen this because it's what I happen to have on hand that shouldn't be too hard on my gut.

If I can keep this down and avoid diarrhea, I'll stay with 'safe' foods like rice and such over the next few days and only branch out when I'm convinced I'm ready. Here's hoping.

Next day: It's mid morning on Monday and bulgar seems to have been a good choice. No nausea, no diarrhea. Going to brave the weather and messy sidewalks today to get out to buy some white rice and a couple of apples, all organic of course.

Tuesday: Ate half an apple yesterday and drank half a bottle of 7up which seems to calm my stomach, not that I needed it. All's still good. Today I cooked 1/3 cup of white rice in chicken broth, then mixed in some canned peas which I figured would be easy to digest. Also had a tiny piece of Havarti cheese for desert. Been drinking tea every day as well. It's now 8 PM and feeling good. Had a regular BM this morning followed by a very loose BM. Took some imodium. Been taking dom paridone every day.
Thursday:
Yesterday I ate 1/2 apple in morning and chicken broth with rice and peas in afternoon. And a tiny slice of Havarti cheese for desert.
Solid stool this am and no nausea.
Today I am preparing chicken broth w rice and peas again. May have a bit of 7up later.  It's all good and very encouraging.
At this stage it gets very tempting to try those perch filets I have in the freezer but will hold off until at least Sunday when I hope to celebrate a whole week of eating every day.

It's now Monday, 1 week and a day after I began eating again. In the interim I've eaten every day. I've had chicken broth a couple more times with and without rice and/or peas, steel rolled oats with rice milk and maple syrup, apples and yes, yesterday, I had a perch filet coated in flour and seasonings and fried in ghee. Today I ate a baked potato with ghee, freshly picked chives and parsley. No diarrhea in three days and stools with some form to them - haven't experienced that in many months. No nausea at all. Yesterday I also started taking probiotics, not the chewable ones I'd been using but in powdered form from a homeopath which must be kept refrigerated. Very happy with my progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment