Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Amputation

Yup, that's right, amputation was the verdict when I saw the hand surgeon today. As soon as he unwrapped my hand he matter-of-factly stated "I can't do anything with that. It [right index finger] will have to be amputated." I asked if he was serious but of course, he was. The bone is open to the air and is surrounded by cartilage and tendons - all the skin is gone. Not a pretty sight believe me. If all goes well over the next two weeks, I am slated for surgery on Tuesday, October 19. Guess I'll have to learn a new method for tripping the shutter on a camera. Shouldn't affect my guitar playing though. As for every day activities, well we'll just have to wait and see.

For now I just have to live with the pain. The doctor used some surgical scissors to remove tissue from the wound today and just now, 6 hours later it is settling down some.

No comments:

Post a Comment