Saturday, October 16, 2010

Surgery & GI Developments

Had a 3 hour pre-op meeting yesterday. The only potential problem centred around the type of anesthetic that would be used but after much debate and a consultation or two they decided to go with a local rather than a general. Phew, for a while there I was quite concerned because they wanted me to shave my moustache which I've had for pretty much my entire adult life. So, surgery is a go for Tuesday. Not looking forward to it at all.

On Thursday I saw my GI doctor and the result of that visit is that I will probably be going on TPN although we are trying a double course of antibiotics first as one last stab at cleaning out my gut. In order to be prepared for the TPN, my daughter and I will be attending training sessions in a couple of weeks. My daughter will be the one to hook me up at night and unhook me in the morning as I won't be able to do it myself. We will probably use a PICC line instead of going into the chest directly. The plan is to try TPN for a couple of months to put some weight on, 20 pounds or so, and then go back to the tube feed. but it's all pretty much up in the air for now so we'll just have to wait and see what develops.

Add this to the surgery and I'm feeing a little overwhelmed right now but am trying to remind myself to just take one thing at a time. In the meantime, it's a beautiful fall day so I'm going to take my dog for a walk and enjoy the sunshine.

1 comment:

  1. Well, that's the first I read about the potential mustache shaving!!
    I just spoke to you recently and everything seems to have gone well.
    You are an inspiration to us all. Your positive attitude and acceptance of the things that are beyond your control are lessons that we all can learn many things from.
    I love you dad! keep up the good work. I know that you feel overwhelmed sometimes...know that you have many people behind you, lending you extra positive energy, and when you need some of it, it'll be there for you to draw upon!
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete