Sunday, November 14, 2010

It's All Good

First of all, my hand, although I am experiencing some pain, is doing well. No pain killers for well over a week now. Yesterday my hand slipped while turning on the stove and I banged it and that hurt like hell but the pain subsided pretty quickly so no real harm done. I'll just take it as a warning to be more careful in the future. On November 26th I will be seeing an OT to see if we can do something to make my middle finger more functional. It is currently displaced away from the thumb so I would like to see if it can be helped to move back more towards the thumb so my hand will be more useful.

TPN continues to go well also. I decided that I would weigh myself each Friday, thereby avoiding potential disappointment by checking my weight every day and seeing no progress. Well, I was still disappointed this past Friday when, after one week, there was no significant weight gain. Perhaps I'm expecting too much in such a short period. I can't be entirely certain about the accuracy of my bathroom scales but I may have gained a pound, possibly two, in which case I would be delighted. At worst, I have stayed the same which I can also live with. I should also mention that I have not, as suggested by my dietician, done any G-J tube feeds in this time period, nor have I been drinking boost every day. The reason is that I am simply enjoying not feeling bloated all the time and, even better, I am taking food orally on a regular basis and my bowels are handling it just fine. I've even stopped taking the pariet and have not had a single bout of reflux. This makes me think that it may have been my formula which was causing the problems previously.

Need I point out how much I am enjoying eating real food again? Today, for example, I have had scalloped potatoes and meat loaf which my daughter brought over. For dessert I had Oh Henry bar pieces and I have also had tea, hot chocolate and just finished a coffee. And I am still hungry but will resist eating more as I don't want to overdue it. A couple of weeks ago this would have been unthinkable.

So, in summary, I am feeling much more positive about life again and that's got to be a good thing.

2 comments:

  1. Hello!

    I came to find your blog from your sclero.org posts. I wanted to thank you for sharing your story, but also let you know I was a little disappointed that there was not a yearly update in 2010.

    I thought it was very interesting to read a first hand account of a year synopsis dealing with scleroderma. I was diagnosed about a year a half ago, and have limited symptoms. I found physical therapy to be the most effective treatment and have stopped all of my perscribed medicines. Now, with winter coming, I am dealing with raynaud's significantly as well as arthritic pain. It's burdensom, but I am so appreciative that it has stopped advancing as rapidly as it seemed when I first received the diagnosis.

    I hope you see remission soon, you seem like a wonderfully positive person making the best out of life; it's a refreshing change to the normal posts by people dealing with chronic conditions. I hope you never change that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth, thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. Much appreciated. I realize I haven't updated the sclero.org info this year abut in light of your remarks will do so soon.
    I am happy to hear that you are doing well and keep those hands and feet warm.

    Best wishes,
    Bill

    ReplyDelete