Friday, November 19, 2010

Two Weeks on TPN

Well, it's been two full weeks that I've been on TPN and it continues to be a very positive experience. The best part is that I am eating real food every day without any ill effects - no reflux, no diarrhea - and that alone has boosted my spirits. I also have more energy to the point that, a couple of days ago, I went on a cleaning frenzy and got rid of all the clutter that had accumulated around the place. feels really great to have that out of the way finally.

Yesterday the dietitian in charge of making up my formula called to see how things are going. I asked about the lack of weight gain and she said that was as she suspected because she had intentionally kept the calorie count down (1600 cal.) because she didn't want to overwhelm my body to start off. The next batch of formula will have an additional 300 cal/day which should mean that I will gain an average of 2 pounds/week. Sounds good to me.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! I'm really interested in how you are doing now? Have you been able to put on more weight with the TPN? My husband has diffuse scleroderma, and has lost 65 lbs in just 12 months. We have discussed starting him on TPN, also...

    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Christine,
    I just came across your comment on my blog from May, 2011 and I can't recall if I responded or not. If I didn't, I apologize and must have missed it somehow as I am very diligent about getting back to folks who take the time to comment. At that tie you asked how I was doing on TPN after 7 months and also that it was being considered as an option for your husband.

    Well, it has now been over a year and a half and I have gain 50 pounds, going from 90 to 140. My GI doc, just last week said I didn't need to gain any more so has cut back on my calories by 10% with the goal of maintaining my present weight. Needless to say, I am absolutely delighted with the results.
    There was one complication about ten months ago when I ended up with line sepsis (infection from the line) which was quite serious but only because I put off going to the doctor when I started having fevers and chills.
    Dd your husband go on TPN and if so, I would be interested in hearing how he is doing.

    ReplyDelete