Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Balcony Garden


When I was diagnosed with scleroderma just over 10 years ago I gave up a great deal, most significantly, my back-to-nature life  style, living in the woods off the grid, solar power, no running water, outhouse and so on. Unfortunately there's no going back in my present condition and I've accepted that, moved on and am enjoying my life in the city. I also sold my motorcycle and my truck, the up side of that being that I'm saving a shitload of money. My power wheel chair is my sole means of transportation now and I am grateful for that.

I also gave up walking a minimum of 5 km every day, playing guitar, photography and gardening among other things. Guitar and photography are now back on my list and this year I have decided to get back to gardening in a big way by growing my own vegetables on my balcony. In the picture above are two varieties of tomatoes, sweet peppers, basil and lettuce. For direct planting I have carrots, peas, beets, cucumbers and hope to get some seed potatoes soon. All seeds are organic heritage seeds and all are recommended for container gardening. I've planted extras for my son and daughter and may still have a few for a local plant sale in May. Oh, I also bought an apple tree, also recommended for container gardening and which I am really excited about.

I also purchased a grow light with full spectrum bulbs and it has proven to be money well spent as my plants are all looking very sturdy and healthy. I've already planted the lettuce into 4" pots and, once I am able to get out and purchase some potting soil, soon I hope, I will transplant the rest where they will stay until mid May when I do the final transplant and move them outdoors, hardening them off in the mean time.

I am very excited about this little project as it is just one more activity that I will have reclaimed from my pre scleroderma days.

Life is good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment