Friday, May 9, 2014

GI Doctor visit

Just realized that I failed to talk about my most recent GI Doctor visit  of a couple of weeks ago. My major concern going in was my persistent diarrhea. Although it's been better since my experience earlier this year, it still continues to interfere with my ability to get out and with the arrival of spring I really needed to address this problem.

So, the long and the short of it is, since the immodium is not working, I now have a prescription for codeine - 30mg to be taken as needed and repeat after 6 hours if necessary. Of course the down side is that if I overdo it, I'll end up with the opposite problem, constipation. So far it seems to be working. I still get diarrhea,often in the morning but if I take the codeine, it's been working although sometimes requiring the follow up after 6 hours. And because of its pain suppressing capabilities, I have been skipping my NSAID when I take the codeine.

Life is good.

July 26 update:

Still have diarrhea most mornings but after an hour or so of repeated trips to the bathroom, I'm good for the rest of the day. This morning was the first time in months that I haven't had diarrhea. Yesterday I took three 30 mg pills just to see how that would work out. With the prescription, I only have enough for 2/day but there were a couple of days when I only took one so had the extras. sen though I was ok this morning, I took a pill anyway. It's now 10:00 am ad no bm. Wondering how long this will last. Maybe the answer is to take 3 or 4 pills one day and then go wight for a day. Worth a try anyway.
No nausea or vomiting for maybe 3 weeks now. Although I have been eating, I skip a day if I feel the least bit bloated and that seems to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment